Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No piggy flu for me, thanks....

So last week I held out my arm and received a swine flu shot. Oh excuse me, I guess the PC way of saying it is novel H1N1 vaccine. According to sources this virus was originally referred to as “swine flu” because laboratory testing showed that many of the genes in this new virus were very similar to influenza viruses that normally occur in pigs (swine) in North America. But further study has shown that this new virus is very different from what normally circulates in North American pigs. It has two genes from flu viruses that normally circulate in pigs in Europe and Asia and bird (avian) genes and human genes. Scientists call this a "quadruple reassortant" virus.

All that jibberish aside, whether you think a pandemic of the swine flu is headed our way or not, your chance to get inocculated is just around the corner. Luckily I fell into Tier 1 of high-risk groups for getting the virus, being nearly eight months pregnant. I attended a closed-door session for preggos only at the Burlington County Health Department. Never have I seen so many bumps of all sizes. They came from all over NJ to get the shot. It takes about 8-10 days for the virus to start innoculating both me and baby Cole but now I won't have to worry about Cole being born in prime flu season or me catching it either. Oh and I got the seasonal flu shot a few weeks before that. And I'm happy to say that mama-to-be and baby are doing just fine, no funny side effects from either shot. yay!
For more info on the swine flu, visit http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

No comments: